The Central Elementary School Garden is celebrating its 20th anniversary this year! The garden is a wonderful school-wide resource, utilized by our Outdoor Classroom teacher who provides hands-on, curriculum-based lessons for all grades. Many of our faculty incorporate the garden into their teaching throughout the year, and children can enjoy the peacefulness of the garden during recess and after school.
Central School PTA is responsible for raising the funds necessary to support our students’ participation in exciting, multi-sensory experiences that enhance curriculum-based learning. Parent contributions to Central PTA’s iGNITE will continue to be used exclusively for Central School and its students and staff.
Central School PTA asks each family to make a single, upfront donation each year that covers their child’s portion of these valuable programs. We’ve crunched the budget numbers, and these great programs cost at least $150 per student per year (approximately 80 cents per school day).
Click on iGNITE Funded Programs 2018-19 View a list of the experiences and special programs iGNITE provides to our children during all five years that they attend Central School.
The Central School PTA funds enrichment programs with our iGNITE contributions and PTA Membership dues. The PTA Enrichment Coordinators work closely with the grade level teachers to develop a list of programs that directly enhance the curriculum and classroom experience for our kids.
iGNITE funded activities include:
Enriching field trips to museums, nature centers and cultural organizations:
- Botanic Gardens
- Wilmette Historical Museum
- The Grove
- Lake Forest Open Lands
- Emily Oaks Center
- Chicago Architectural Tour
In-school programs which take place in our individual grade level classrooms, Learning Commons, Auditorium, Library, in addition to our ever-evolving and newly redesigned Outdoor Garden.
- Mad Science – Magnets and Lights/Color/Action
- Mobile Planetarium
- Outdoor Garden programs with expert Garden Educator, Amanda Nugent. (iGNITE sessions include curriculum enhancement for our studies in Ecosystems, Land and Water, Harvesting, Insects, Prairie Plant Adaptations, Comparative Life Cycle, Soil Exploration and much more.)
- Creative Dramatics – Focus on learning Story Theater and creative thinking
- Award winning author visits
- Abraham Lincoln Presentation
- American Eagle Production -an educational theater production focusing on literature, history and geography
- Scientist in Residence programs – Sound, Matter and Light
- Illustrated Theater – Focus on a theater technique called Transformation Mime
Click on iGNITE Funded Programs 2016-17 for the detailed listing of iGNITE funded programs from last year.